- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thickness (sometimes it’s easier to filet them, instead)
- seasoning salt
- 6 slices bacon, cut in half
- ¼ cup regular mustard
- ¼ to 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups shredded Colby/Jack cheese
Sprinkle and rub the chicken breasts with seasoning salt. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon. ***Do not discard grease.*** Saute chicken in the bacon grease for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until browned. Move chicken to a 9×13 pan.
In a small bowl, mix the mustard, honey, mayo and dried onion flakes. Apply the honey mustard to each breast, then layer with mushrooms, bacon, and shredded cheese.
Bake in a 350° oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and chicken is done. (Be sure to cut into a breast to see that it is fully cooked before serving to guests who will find raw meat in their main dish. Ask me how I know…)
Serve with honey mustard sauce.